Connect with us

Sports

Why Morocco’s Hamza Mendyl Dumped Arsenal for Schalke 04

Published

on

Why Morocco’s Hamza Mendyl Dumped Arsenal for Schalke 04

Moroccan footballer Hamza Mendyl has said difficulty getting a work permit as a Moroccan prevented him from playing for Arsenal or Newcastle.

The Moroccan-Ivorian footballer, who signed for Schalke 04 last week, said that he was in negotiations with Arsenal this summer before signing with the German football team.

Quoted by major sports outlets, the 20-year-old said that difficulty getting a work permit prevented him from joining England’s Arsenal.

ESPN also said that the footballer was denied a work permit from Arsenal.

“It is true: I was in talks Arsenal and Newcastle. But as a Moroccan citizen it’s not that easy to obtain a work permit. I would have trusted myself to play Premier League,” Mendyl said.

Read Also: Senegal attacker Keita Balde returns to Italy in $5.7 transfer

Mendyl has joined his fellow Moroccan Amine Harit, who also plays for both Morocco’s national team and Schalke 04.

Both Moroccans made the list of the team who participated in the 2018 World Cup.

Mendyl expressed his joy over joining the German team.

“I’m delighted to have signed for such a big club. With Domenico Tedesco, I’ve got a coach who is renowned for improving players,” the player was quoted by his club.

Mendyl also expressed his ambition to grow as a footballer, saying: “I want to keep developing and play an important role in all three campaigns for Schalke 04 this season.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Sports

Libya coach Amrouche alleges ‘frustration’, quits

Published

on

By

Libya coach Adel Amrouche has resigned just days before his side face Nigeria in an African Nations Cup qualifier. The match is billed for Uyo, Akwa Ibom state.

His departure has been confirmed by the Libyan Football Federation and on Wednesday by Belgian Amrouche, who told the media that he was frustrated by working conditions with the team.

The 50-year-old, who was born in Algeria, was only appointed in May and his first match in charge last month saw Libya force a 0-0 draw in South Africa.

They were forced to play all their home qualifiers at a neutral venue because of the tenuous security situation in the North African country.

Read also: Why Morocco’s Hamza Mendyl Dumped Arsenal for Schalke

Libya travel to face Nigeria on Friday and then play them again in the return in Sfax, Tunisia on Monday.

Libya have four points from their first two games in their bid to qualify for the 2019 finals in Cameroon, ahead of South Africa on goal difference with Nigeria one point behind.

The Seychelles are last in the group without any points.

Continue Reading

Sports

Senegal to be the first African country to host Youth Olympics

Published

on

By

Senegal to be the first African country to host Youth Olympics

Senegal will host the next edition of the Summer Youth Olympic Games in 2022, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) announced in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

It will be the first African nation to host the event.

Four other African countries – Botswana, Nigeria, Senegal and Tunisia – were in the running to host the event, but Senegal was chosen as it provided the “best value proposition and the greatest opportunities at this moment in time”, the IOC said in a press release.

The competition will be held in three cities: Senegal’s capital Dakar, the new city of Diamniadio, which currently under development, and Saly on the coast.

Read also: Ivory Coast grab gold and bronze in Diamond League 100m

“Senegal and its young people are proud of the honour you have bestowed upon us, in entrusting the organisation of the Youth Olympic Games 2022 to our country,” Senegal’s President Macky Sall said in a statement.

“In fact, it is the whole of Africa, the birthplace of humankind through its history and the youngest continent through its demographics, which will welcome the young athletes of the world in 2022.”

Apart from Antarctica, Africa is the only continent in the world to have never hosted the Olympic Games.

Continue Reading

Sports

Ghana’s Appiah under fire for inviting redundant players to national team

Published

on

By

Ghana coach Kwesi Appiah is expected to be grilled by the local media in Kumasi ahead of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Sierra Leone on Thursday.

The Ghanaian gaffer will defend his latest call-up which has sparked controversy in the West African nation.

The perceived inconsistency in his call-ups will come under scrutiny.

Appiah’s controversial decision to leave out brothers Andre and Jordan Ayew while the call-up of Sporting Lisbon defender Lumor Agbenyenu, who has not kicked a ball this season will come up for questioning.

Read also: AFCON: Liberia to unleash 13 foreign-based pros against Congo DR

The controversial return of captain Asamoah Gyan will also under line of fire.

The Ghana coach, 58, will also brief the media on his team’s preparations for the doubtful double-header against the Leone Stars.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

SLAM CULTURE

Top Stories